THE CHALLENGE: MEETING REQUIREMENTS AND DOCUMENTING AS RESEARCHERS







Last week Fiona wrote: I think that documentation is the strategy that will allow us to transform the way we spend our time with children, colleagues and families. Speaking from my experience as a teacher, school leader and consultant. I wholeheartedly agree with her. Learning and teaching in my classroom changed significantly when I started documenting. This process of ‘active listening, distilling and interpreting’ made me consider the thinking of the children in unexpected ways. The documentation ‘spoke back’ to me and made me discover new things about myself and the children that I had not noticed before. I have seen similar discoveries in teaching teams across the world. The practice of documenting opened the door for them to re-examine their image of the child and their construct of learning (and teaching).

What makes documentation pedagogical is the curiosity that we bring to it. When we research our practice alongside young children, we can bring a certain question or hypothesis based on previous interpretations and/or learning proposals to our ‘lens’. Alongside this intention, we want to be open to noticing and documenting significant moments of learning and the intersection of ideas. This could entail differing points of view or explanations that children bring to the learning group. 

Regular opportunities to reflect on interpretations of pedagogical documentation is a powerful way for teams to deepen their shared understanding of their pedagogy and their work alongside children. If we view time as a value, then we need to think very carefully about how we choose to spend our time and make decisions about our time that support our pedagogical practices and beliefs.

Many of us work in schools where they are required to document their observations of children in key domains such as social, language, physical and cognitive development.  A systematic approach to documenting 'what children know, understand and can do' (knowledge, conceptual understanding and skills) may keep us, from time to time, away from a focus on wonder, discovery and joined meaning making. It does ensure though, that we are keeping track of the development of each child in every domain. Another benefit might be that we get to know the learning goals well and spend time looking for the learning of all children (not only those who eagerly share their perspectives or those who often have creative suggestions and ideas).

Perhaps this requirement of ensuring we document ‘everything’ comes from, like Lisa Burman suggested, a lack of trust in the child, the curriculum and the educator. There often seems to be little faith in children’s capacity to direct their learning. Teachers need to record everything to prove that learning is taking place. It speaks to a belief that learning is controllable and measurable instead of fluid, in the moment and non-linear. The curriculum is often packed with a myriad of facts, conceptual understandings and specific skills around literacy, numeracy and other subjects. I believe it is often the amount of all these learning goals that gets teachers into a mode of covering, documenting specific learning goals (usually using check lists) and reducing opportunities for a more spontaneous, playful way of learning. It seems to me that there is too much faith in the curriculum and not enough trust in play as a space where children develop a key set of skills and dispositions that gives them a strong foundation.

So the question for me is, as a consultant and teacher working with the Dutch rules and regulations, how we can meet the requirements and still document as researchers

Many systems can be designed but we need to ensure that:
  • ·       we can manage the amount of data 
  •   i      it gives us joy
  •          we can use the information for our planning. 
When working alongside teams that have engaged in this challenge, I have found that a high degree of intentionality ensures there is still room for our wonderings, questions and interest in meaning making processes. We need to be systematic in the way we file our anecdotal notes and other data so we develop an overview of the child's learning over time. Some teams make decisions about 'what they are looking for', others observe and document poignant moments. Being intentional and systematic makes documentation and pedagogical documentation more sustainable, joyful and mutually supportive.

We need to continue to challenge the current paradigm and advocate for change. In the meantime, please share your perspectives, experiences and solutions in navigating the challenge of time, intention and requirements. It is through constant conversations that we continue to grow and learn as educators. We look forward hearing your thoughts….



Anne

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, it is always a treat to connect with your thought provoking reflections. I am currently exploring the idea of 'being present' when observing the magic children bring to one another, materials and ideas daily. Asking 'what is really going on here?' 'what ideas are being interrogated?' 'how can we capture the complexities of their thinking?' and 'how can we respond as a result to build a meaningful bridge into tomorrow?' We use the curriculum as a framework to articulate and celebrate key learning outcomes that are being investigated as a result of the inquiry/ spontaneous learning. However, what always stands out for me is the JOY/ WONDER/ CURIOSITY/ OPENNESS children bring to the world. These dispositions towards encounter presented by children should be highlighted, honoured and nurtured :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your poignant response to the blog entry. Yes, yes, yes! Documentation that amplifies, like Deborah Harcourt says, children's identities as researchers. It is that 'joy, wonder, curiosity and openness' that has engaged me since the first time I stepped into and EY classroom. It is that child competent child that should be made visible (Rinaldi).

      Delete
  3. Hi Anne,
    I have been reaching a similar perspective within my teaching, but am really struggling with the logistics of documentation for the large number of children that I teach and the smaller chunks of time I have with them. Generally I tend to document lightbulb moments, unexpected connections etc, things that seem out of the ordinary, or different to my expectations. I tend to find that some children appear in my documentation more than others, perhaps by nature of their thinking etc, or by nature of my observational bias etc.
    Given that you know the set up where I am, can you suggest any concrete ways for documenting to be authentic, useful, and also realistic. I find that one child per day would not work, or even one child per lesson. Some children I see 45 minutes in a day. Currently I use photos, videos as part of the information I gather as well as observational notes where I can. I do find the lack of time/time pressure, for example to be out of a room by the end of allocated timetable , makes the idea of authentic documentation more challenging, but I am wondering how to get around this.
    Looking forward to any advice you might have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for getting in touch, can you tell me a little more about your role in the school?

      Delete
    2. Hi Anne, it’s Jo Burn, sorry my google account comes up strangely! Primary school German teacher.

      Delete
    3. Hi Jo! I thought it was you (but had to check)! I am wondering if it would be interesting to bring a research question to your documentation. One that propels you into the 'unknown' and that would give a certain focus to your research alongside the children. Perhaps a question linked to an overall focus of your team, your professional development goal or something you have been wondering about. I have for example, been wondering about how translanguaging strategies support additional language learning and how materials could support additional language learners with acquiring vocabulary and sentence structures. What is on your mind?

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Anne! That’s a really interesting idea! So the documentation has a tighter focus, that makes conplete sense. For me my current wonderings are around the area of inclusion and inquiry within additional language teaching and learning. So the next challenge will be to formulate the right question! Food for thought. I will let you know what i end up with!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also am fascinated by the translaguaging, as i think this skill leverages the child’s learning at thier own pace based on the tool they personally have abailable. So much to think on, thanks! Jo

      Delete
    2. Thank you Jo for reaching out! Would love to hear what you are going to focus on. Inclusion, inquiry and additional language learning and teaching ...... now you got me thinking !

      Delete
    3. Maybe the trans languaging is something that facilitates inclusion.... my suspicion is that it might do!

      Delete
    4. I think you are onto something... How and to what extend does translanguaging facilitate inclusion and the learners' sense of agency in additional language learning? Would be interested particularly in the children's perspectives.

      Delete
    5. Genius! I might use that as my starting point, thank you!

      Delete
  6. Your thoughts from Lisa Burman about having a lack of trust in the child, the curriculum and the educator resonate with my own thinking with regard to the requirement of having to document everything. In some educational systems they like to use terms such as 'measure' and 'evidence'. I can say that most of the parents I have had were not thinking about evidence of learning or measuring their child's learning. These terms are used by politicians and administrators. As teachers we need to stand up for the right of the child to learn in his/her own way. We need to trust, listen and respect the learning of the child.

    The article asks the question, "How we can meet the requirements and still document as researchers? During one of my teaching years I was required to meet age-related outcomes. I found that this limited my teaching, my observations and my image of the child. When I simply disregarded those outcomes I saw so much more happening in the child's learning. The child actually surpassed those so called outcomes based on developmental appropriate practice. If I had to, I could easily show that the child met those requirements. But that was not my intention. My intention was to use participant observation to understand how the children learn and how I interact with them. If I have to think about documenting certain criteria, I miss out on the other 99% of the learning. So I think having the intention of being open-minded to what is going on allows us to see much more. We can still propose ideas for projects with certain intentions but we must be open to the myriad of directions it might take. We need to make forecasts or predictions about those directions the children will take them in. When this is documented you can easily look back over those limiting requirements and give 'evidence' of learning if that is what is unfortunately required. I think a system of looking at one child a day or one observation per child per week is somehow artificial and will lead to setting up 'activities' in order to get an observation. I have seen this happen. However, it is important to keep track that all the children are part of these participant observations and to give value to the documentation by posting it on the walls, sending it home via SeeSaw or in newsletters. I like to show the documentation to the child(ren) and reflect on what was happening. This is true assessment! It also helps to give direction to the project or future proposals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Translanguaging fosters cognitive flexibility, enhancing problem-solving skills. It promotes a stronger grasp of content by connecting new information with familiar languages. This approach supports cultural identity, bolstering self-esteem. Translanguaging also aids bilingual proficiency and communication, valuable in our globalized world. Ultimately, it empowers children academically, socially, and emotionally, facilitating holistic development. It empowers children academically, socially, and emotionally, facilitating holistic development.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts