ATTENTIVENESS IN THE ENCOUNTER WITH RECYCLABLE MATERIALS

A permanent feature in our learning space is a small creative recycling centre, a shelving unit, filled with recyclable materials brought in by volunteers, colleagues and parents.

My students often recognize the previous function of these materials, quickly see new possibilities and use them in new and unexpected ways. A certain shape or texture of the materials seems to remind them often of ideas, places and objects that they have encountered before. Children still seem to have a certain attentiveness in the way they are in tune with their surroundings and the objects they encounter. It reminds me of a beautiful line in David Whyte’s poem Everything is Waiting for You’: alertness is the hidden discipline of familiarity.
A small group of learners in my class is particularly drawn to the possibilities of recyclable materials. I often notice how the materials offer them, as Häikiö (2007) describes ‘both resistance and challenge’. A cardboard box, a piece of string, a plastic bottle or a rubber tube…they all have different capacities to influence the creating and constructing process and children seem enjoy these challenges tremendously.


“Anne , what do I see?”                     


“I see the O next to the Z.”



I am looking forward to Louisa Penfold’s presentation at the IGE conference in Singapore this coming May: https://earlyyears.innovativeglobaled.orgLouisa will unpack the concept of materiality and consider the role of materials as more than passive substances for children's manipulation or self-expression. She will invite us to regard as ‘active participants capable of stimulating new and divergent thinking’ (Penfold).
At the conference, I will be sharing some documentation guided by some of the following questions: 

How does the incompatibility of the materials enhance complexity? How can I present the materials in such a way that children encounter these intricacies?

How do children develop new ideas with materials? 

How I can support the children with creating something that ‘they have not seen before’? What questions or problems can I pose to invite them to create something new and unexpected?


Irem: “Anne, can you please be quiet? I am decorating my Giraffe.”


I hope to see you at the conference! 

Anne


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts